Fire Station Number 2
(412 Wacouta St.)
The fire station, now part of the complex, was built in 1872 and designed by Charles Hausler, the city’s architect. It got an addition in 1885, and was rebuilt in 1921, and at some point was also became station No. 4.
This two story brick engine house features three bays divided by buttresses with three fairly new fire engine doors at the ground level and multi-light double hung windows with transom on the second floor. At the cornice level is a central sculpted medallion depicting two firemen and the words "Engine House No . 2, A.D. 1858, 1921." The brickwork features a red and black diamond pattern. The building is considerably smaller than any of the nearby commercial buildings. Giving fire trucks easier access to the station, Wacouta widens noticeably toward 7th Street. The Fire Department sold the building ca. 1970. Currently the building houses multiple condo units.