(Previously known as: Michaud Brothers Building - 249-253 E. 4th St.)
Built in 1909 in the classical revival style, the architect is unknown as the original permit was lost. The building was originally built for $131,000 for the Michaud Brothers grocery business. The Michaud brothers were French Canadian and came to saint Paul in 1854. In 1881 it was written that in that year the business firm was expected to reach sales of $250,000 which made it the largest retail firm west of Chicago. The Jax manufacturing company, which made automobile seat covers later moved into the building along with a luggage store. Currently the building houses an array of businesses and studios including a ballet academy, Books for Africa, and several floors of artist studios. The ‘Lowertown Bike Shop’ also moved into the Jax Building in 2011.