Kohler and Henrichs
(Previously known as: Kohler and Hinrichs Co. and Morgoles Leather Company - 235-27 E. 6th St.)
This four-story brick building was built in 1891 and, like all of the others on the 6th St. Side of this block, was designed by J. Halter Stevens. The original owner of the building is listed on the building permit as “Celestia B. Gilbert by P. J. Jackson.” Jackson is also mentioned on the building permit for the Konantz Saddlery Company Building next door, and probably the construction of this building was financed by Gilbert for investment purposes.
The building was built by the F. J. Romer Company, a prominent St. Paul construction company, and its first occupant was the Koehler and Hinrichs firm which was founded in about 1884 and specialized in wholesale supplies for butchers and meat packers and the “fancy groceries line.” This firm was composed of partners George W. Koehler who came to St. Paul from Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and Ferdinand Hinrichs who was originally from Milwaukee. Before this building was constructed the firm was located at the corner of St . Peter and 4th Streets and at 231 E. 3rd Street (now Kellogg Boulevard). By 1901 they had moved to the building at 255 E. Kellogg Boulevard which is now known as the Scheffer and Rossum Building.
This brick building has a medieval character to it. It has Romanesque inspired rounded arched window openings and a series of rock faced sandstone blocks which are set on the diagonal at the cornice level (the building does not have a cornice), and which are located in a horizontal band, almost like modillions, above the small and narrow series of rounded arched windows on the second floor. The building has two basically intact, if modest, Victorian storefronts, one of which housed the Margoles Leather company.