(Also known as: Lambert's Landing and Jackson Street Levee - Mississippi River and Jackson St.)
Until the beginning of the railroad era in the 1880s, Lower Landing also known as Lambert’s Landing was the main source of supply and communication for the St. Paul community. The landing served as the arrival point for tens of thousands of immigrants entering Minnesota. On average, each steamboat carried several hundred passengers, and the number of steamboat arrivals grew from 256 in 1854 to 1068 in 1858. This important St. Paul landing was not actually known as Lambert Landing until 1937, when it was reconstructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) as a part of a revival of St. Paul’s riverfront. It was named after Colonel George Lambert, who was a prominent figure in the crusade to modernize Upper Mississippi River navigation. This landing was located at a natural break in the Mississippi River’s 80-foot high bluffs (at the foot of present-day Jackson Street). Most of the landing was removed in the 1950s for the construction of Warner Road. Present-day Lambert's Landing is marked by a plaque located in the section of St. Paul commonly known as Lowertown. Mississippi River barges continue to dock there and Lowertown Landing took its name from this historic gateway into our community.